Loading...

A LEVEL

Physical Education A LEVEL Course

Physical Education A LEVEL Course. Duration: 2 Years

Course Content

There are 4 components to this course: 70% of the course grade comes from 2 exams (Components 1 and 2) and the other 30% of the grade comes from Practical and Coursework (Components 3 & 4). Component 1: Applied anatomy and physiology.
Students will understand the anatomical/structural and physiological/functional roles performed in the identified systems of the body. The principles of Newton's Three Laws of Motion – force, centre of mass and stability. Students will understand concepts of energy and how they relate to physical activity and sport. Component 2: Psychological and Social Principles of Physical Education. Students are required to show an understanding of the nature and development of skills in sport. Students should have an awareness of the relevant learning theories and how they relate to skill development. At A Level, students will develop a detailed appreciation of the role of memory systems in the acquisition of skill. Students should be able to understand how quantitative data can be generated in appropriate areas of skill acquisition and be able to produce and evaluate the meaning of such data.
Component 3: Practical performance. Students will be required to perform in one physical activity, in the role of either player/performer or coach. Students are required to demonstrate their ability to perform a range of skills and techniques in physical activity, make decisions, implement strategies, tactics and/or compositional ideas, and apply knowledge and understanding of rules and regulations while performing physical activity.
Component 4: Performance Analysis and Performance Development Programme. In Component 4 students must complete a Performance Analysis and then, based on the results of the analysis, produce a Performance Development Programme (PDP). In the Performance Analysis, in either the role of player/performer or coach, students will investigate two components of a physical activity (one physiological component and either a technical or a tactical component).

Further Opportunities

Contact

Ms N Bulless

Entry Requirements
5 GCSE grades at 4 or above. Grade 5s in English, Science and PE are preferable although cases will be looked at individually. Open to Y12/13 students (Y13 students be aware it is a 2 year course).
Duration: 2 Years
100
A Level Pass Rate In 2017 Homewood Sixth students achieved 100% pass rate in over 34 A Level subjects.
96
University Success In 2017 96% of Homewood Sixth students were accepted by their first or second choice University.