Animal Management

Level 3

Duration: 2 Years

Contact: Mr D Shepherd

Entry Requirements

5 GCSEs at grade 4 or above including English.

Course Content

This BTEC covers a wide range of topics about animal management in depth.

The BTEC qualification is designed for students who want to continue their education through applied learning and who aim to progress either into higher education or into jobs in the animal sector.

All five units in this course are mandatory, and they cover Animal Welfare and Ethics, Practical Animal Husbandry, Animal Behaviour, Animal Health and Diseases and Work Experience in the Animal Sector (including 75 hours external work experience in an appropriate environment and employment settings).

There will be a large amount of practical work using the animals on the farm, and the farm staff will be involved with delivering parts of the course. Other animal specialists from the work sector will also be involved in the delivery of specific parts of the course. 67% of the course is assessed by internal coursework assessments, and the other 33% is assessed by an external examination.

Open Evening Documents

Further Opportunities

You could take this qualification further by completing further units as an extended diploma or higher qualification at an agricultural college. You could also use the qualification to gain UCAS points (equivalent to one A Level) to go on to a degree in a biology or animal related subject at university.

The BTEC qualification also supports learners who want to go straight on to pursue a career in an animal-related industry. You could also go on to an apprenticeship in the animal sector, for example at a farm or a zoo.

University Success

In 2019 96% of Homewood Sixth Form students were accepted by their first or second choice university.

Red Hot Progress

In 2019, Homewood’s Sixth Form was graded “Red Hot” for progress across academic and applied subjects by the ALPs organisation.