Duration: 1 Year
Contact: Miss R Holkham & Mrs P Thornton
4 x GCSE grades at 4 including a 5 in maths and a 4 in English.
The aims of this IB Standard-level course are to:
- enjoy and develop an appreciation of the elegance and power of mathematics
- develop an understanding of the principles and nature of mathematics
communicate clearly and confidently in a variety of contexts
- develop logical, critical and creative thinking, and patience and persistence in problem-solving
- employ and refine their powers of abstraction and generalization
- apply and transfer skills to alternative situations, to other areas of knowledge and to future developments
- appreciate how developments in technology and mathematics have influenced each other
- appreciate the moral, social and ethical implications arising from the work of mathematicians and the applications of mathematics
- appreciate the international dimension in mathematics through an awareness of the universality of mathematics and its multicultural and historical perspectives
- appreciate the contribution of Mathematics to other disciplines.
The topics covered are: Algebra; Functions and equations; Circular functions and trigonometry; Vectors; Statistics and probability; and Calculus. This course is assessed by 3 exams and a piece of coursework worth 20%.
This course must be taken with the Extended Project Qualification to gain the equivalent of an A-level.
In 2019 96% of Homewood Sixth Form students were accepted by their first or second choice university.
Red Hot Progress
In 2019, homewood’s sixth form was graded “Red Hot” for progress across academic and applied subjects by the ALPs organisation.